Frequently Asked Questions for SAFe®
NOTE: This FAQ page answers questions specific to the training, certification and exam process for SAFe® (Scaled Agile Framework) learning events.
See our general FAQ page for all other questions.
The following details are believed to be accurate as of July 19, 2017. Note the Scaled Agile Academy routinely changes their exam approach and certification criteria and we are not always notified of changes. As a result this information should only be used as a first approximation guideline and may become out of date. For the most current and reliable information, always refer back to the Scaled Agile pages at http://www.scaledagile.com/.
- Q: What is included in the Leading SAFe® class (SA Training)?
A: The Leading SAFe® training that we offer includes all the materials that are needed to complete the training part of the certification (part 1/2), while your course fee includes payment for the first exam attempt. Once you have completed the training, you will receive an email from Scaled Agile to connect with their Community Portal and their Training Guide to complete the remaining steps to obtain your certification (which includes the final exam). More details are provided below in the Logistics and Exam sections, and instructions will also be provided in class.
- Q: I heard there were a lot of slides in the SAFe® classes. Is that true?
A: Yes. Scaled Agile has created their training content using PowerPoint slides to ensure the materials are delivered consistently regardless of the delivery channel. As a result this is a considerably different learning experience than other BERTEIG learning events.
- Q: Who is the certifying agency?
A: Certification is governed by Scaled Agile (www.scaledagile.com). Scaled Agile has ownership over the SAFe® products and services.
- Q: How is BERTEIG and WorldMindware affiliated with Scaled Agile?
A: BERTEIG is a Silver delivery channel Partner for the training portion of the SAFe®certification, WorldMindware is the training portal that BERTEIG lists and offers its training courses on, and BERTEIG's SAFe® trainers are certified Scaled Program Consultants (SPC) that are licensed and authorized to deliver Scaled Agile courses and materials.
- Q: Do I need to take the training or can I just write a challenge exam?
A: You must successfully complete the 2 day Leading SAFe® class before writing the exam.
- Q: How am I contacted before, during and after the class?
A: You must provide a valid e-mail address that you can access during class, and you must be able to check your spam and junk folders.
- Q: What can I expect when the class ends?
A: At the end of the class you will be sent an email from BERTEIG with a link to provide feedback and giving you a choice of a free book (compliments of BERTEIG). This feedback survey must be completed before the class ends.
- Q: Once the class delivered by BERTEIG concludes, how do I get registered with Scaled Agile?
A: After completing the 2 day class, your name and contact information is automatically sent to Scaled Agile as part of a bulk class submission. From this point on most communication and administration is handled directly by Scaled Agile.
- Q: How long does it take for Scaled Agile to get back to me after my class ends?
A: It typically takes Scaled Agile approximately 2-3 business days to send you communications after you complete the Leading SAFe® class (time may vary).
- Q: How many messages can I expect to receive from Scaled Agile?
A: After finishing the 2 day class and being registered by the instructor, each student will receive about two communications from Scaled Agile: 1) A Welcome Letter and, 2) a Learning Plan Assignment. The Learning Plan Assignment email includes information on how to find the exam and feedback survey once you are logged into the Community. The exam will become available after the Scaled Agile feedback survey is submitted.
- Q: What does Scaled Agile do with my information?
A: Scaled Agile creates a Community Platform account for you on their servers so you may access their global network of SAFe® certified professionals, their materials, and the exam.
- Q: Will I have access to digital copies of the course materials?
A: Yes. Scaled Agile should provide you with soft copies of the workbooks through your Community Platform account. Alternatively, BERTEIG hosts these materials on our private shared drive (ownCloud) for students that have successfully completed the class.
- Q: How is the exam administered?
A: The exam is fully administered online through the Scaled Agile Community Platform account, which is an online web portal.
- Q: Do I need to take the exam at a test centre?
A: The exam is not proxied or administered at a centralized test centre. You may take it anywhere you have access to the internet.
- Q: Is the exam hard?
A: That is a subjective question, but yes, most feedback from students indicates the SA exam can be quite challenging! If you want to study and prepare, please consider getting familiar with the Scaled Agile Framework.
- Q: How many questions are on the exam?
A: There are 50 multiple choice questions.
- Q: How long do I have to write the exam?
A: You will be given 90 minutes to write the exam. A countdown timer should be visible at the top of the page once you start the exam.
- Q: Is the exam open book?
A: Yes, the exam is open book.
- Q: Does everyone get the same questions and answers?
A: No. Questions and answers are randomized, and there is a pool of questions that Scaled Agile uses.
- Q: Do questions have the same numbers and identifiers?
A: No. Questions are not numbered. If you exit the exam and restart it, you will receive different questions in a different order.
- Q: How do I navigate the exam?
A: Use the “Navigation” button during the exam to move between questions.
- Q: Can I submit the exam without completing all the questions?
A: No. You must attempt to answer all questions before the exam may be submitted.
- Q: How many days do I have to complete the exam?
A: You have 30 days to complete the exam from the date you finish the class.
- Q: What happens if I miss the 30 day window?
A: You will need to communicate directly with Scaled Agile to request consideration for an extension. Their e-mail address is: email@example.com
- Q: What is a passing grade?
A: You need a 68% or higher (at least 34/50 correct) in order to pass.
- Q: What does it cost to take the exam?
A: The fee for your first attempt at the exam is included in your registration for the Leading SAFe® class.
- Q: How much does an exam retake cost?
A: Exam retakes are $50 USD per attempt.
- Q: When can I take my first exam retake?
A: You may do a single retake immediately after paying the retake fee.
- Q: When may I take second and third exam retakes?
A: You may do a second retake after 10 days, and a third retake after 30 days, both after paying the retake fee.
- Q: Are there any practice / mock exams that I can take?
A: NEW! Scaled Agile has created a mock/practice exam that you will get access to try once you have completed the course and been registered on their community portal with a Learning Plan. Unfortunately, there don't appear to be any external practice / mock exams for Leading SAFe® because Scaled Agile has been known to legally pursue independent third parties that have attempted to create unlicensed mock SAFe® exams because they were using their branding and materials without approval.